Literary festival in Tallinn
29 May - 2 June 2024
- 28 May 2023 - HeadRead 2023 gallery: day four
- 27 May 2023 - HeadRead 2023 gallery: day three
- 26 May 2023 - HeadRead 2023 gallery: day one and two
- 24 May 2023 - The HeadRead literary festival that begins today features more than 90 writers
- 24 May 2023 - Exhibition at the Estonian Children’s Literature Centre
The Tallinn HeadRead literary festival, like Tallinn itself, is small but perfectly formed. Run by Estonian writers, publishers and translators, the festival is a feast, a conversation and a joy, as the beautiful city opens up to interesting writers from all over the world. Winter has fled, the Summer is full of promise, and the festival unfolds as a marvellous party, held by the wittiest hosts, who look after their guests wonderfully well, engaging with them off, as well as on, the podium.
Estonian summers sparkle, because they are so brief, and it seems that everything in this tiny country is slightly smaller, and noticeably brighter, than elsewhere. The humour is sharper, the lessons of history clearer, the old buildings more completely preserved, the audiences more engaged: everything appears more concentrated and intense, from the light to the conversation.