Literary festival in Tallinn
22-26 May 2019
- 22 April 2019 - Renowned political analysts added to the lineup of HeadRead festival
- 3 April 2019 - HeadRead is looking for volunteers
- 18 March 2019 - HeadRead presents a substantial programme of Estonian literature
- 12 February 2019 - The international guests of this year’s HeadRead festival include Julian Barnes and David Lagercrantz
- 30 January 2019 - HeadRead literary festival announces its first international guests: Leïla Slimani, Ian Thomson, Philip Gross
The Tallinn HeadRead literary festival, like Tallinn itself, is small but perfectly formed. Run by Estonian writers, publishers and translators, the festival is a feast, a conversation and a joy, as the beautiful city opens up to interesting writers from all over the world. Winter has fled, the Summer is full of promise, and the festival unfolds as a marvellous party, held by the wittiest hosts, who look after their guests wonderfully well, engaging with them off, as well as on, the podium.
Estonian summers sparkle, because they are so brief, and it seems that everything in this tiny country is slightly smaller, and noticeably brighter, than elsewhere. The humour is sharper, the lessons of history clearer, the old buildings more completely preserved, the audiences more engaged: everything appears more concentrated and intense, from the light to the conversation.